forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2685  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Feb 3, 2000  3:11 pm
Subject:  Re: Gallaudet University & SignWriting...

>I spoke with a first year grad student recently...they were given the same
>page I was handed when I was a first year student. It was a bad copy of a
>document from the late 70's or early 80's, describing sign writing, and given
>as an example of why SignWriting won't be successful.
>Cecelia
>formerly of Gallaudet

------------------------------------

SignWriting List
February 3, 2000

Thanks Cecelia, for this information about Gallaudet and SignWriting.
The one good thing about that story, is that they still inform
students about SignWriting, even if they talk against it at the same
time....

As you all know, the Braille writing system was banned from French
schools for the blind during Braille's lifetime....

The question is why? I guess schools can be frightened of new ideas
and it takes time to change their thinking....

And Gallaudet has done the same with SignWriting...learning to read
and write ASL for example, would be a big job for the teachers, and
the entire staff would have to see signed languages as "written
languages" and that is a big change...

Val ;-)

  Message 2685  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index