forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2687  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Tue Feb 1, 2000  11:14 am
Subject:  Re: Shorthand

> Wow, Charles! Really..you too? Even without all the palm facing, you
> can read your old notes? This is very encourging and really
> wonderful...
>
> Val ;-)

Context is everything in a writing system.

u cn rd ths u cn rd spdrtng

The above sentence is a reduced form of English speedwriting. It
requires a knowledge of English to understand as it has left out most of
the vowels, but it is readable if you know English.

Same thing with shorthand, I use it to write notes to myself when I'm
trying to remember a signed song, as it's a whole lot faster than full
sign writing for my own notes. And transposing it to my own hands is
really fairly easy. It may not be 100% accurate, but for a living
language that I already know, writing things I already know, it's pretty
good.

  Message 2687  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index