forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2692  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Mark Penner
Date:  Fri Feb 4, 2000  9:07 am
Subject:  Re: Shorthand

At 08:57 02/03/2000 -0800, you wrote:
> Hi Mark - thanks for this question. SW Shorthand is not based on any
> one signed language - It is a generic shorthand system for writing
> any movement or position of the human body quickly.
>
> So you could write Japanese Sign Language with SW Shorthand with no
problem...
I don't think I was very clear. I knew that SW shorthand does any signed
langauge. The problem, though, is practicing. How can I read someone's SW
if I don't know their SL? Or who do I write to? It's practice that really
helps you learn something, so that's why I mentioned ASL. I could just as
well have said Spanish SL, or Guatemalan, I just happened to say ASL,
probably because so many on the list use it and can converse in it using SW.

> We used to hold workshops....like this:
>
> Workshop 1: SignWriting Printing
> Workshop 2: Writing Sign Literature
> Workshop 3: SignWriting Shorthand

How long were these workshops, typically. One day? One week? Two weeks? A
month? I'm trying to get an idea of what it would take to try and get some
others here in Japan that I can write to in SW.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Penner
Tokyo, Japan

  Message 2692  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index