forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2742  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Feb 8, 2000  12:35 am
Subject:  Question on Handshapes

>I'm in the middle of transcribing material in Jordanian Sign Language
>(LIU = "lughat ul-'ishaarat il-'urduniyya"), and have run into a
>handshape which I have not found in the SW material. It is a tight fist,
>with the tip of the index finger touching the inside of the thumb
>knuckle. If you look at the thumb side of the hand, it resembles a
>written "9" -- which is good, since it is a signed number "9" in LIU, as
>well as a fingerspelled letter "waw". LIU also has a two-handed form of
>"9" ("4+5", as used in international gesture), but I'm not composing --
>I'm transcribing. Any ideas?

February 7, 2000

First, take a look at this web page:

Brazilian Fingerspelling Keyboard
https://www.SignWriting.org/fkey055.html

and look at the Brazilian number 6 and 9...both use that handshape as
an open fist....

The attached .GIF shows the tight fist with a protruding thumb, and
the open fist with a protruding thumb. The .GIF shows different
rotations and palm facings to give you an idea how the symbol looks
as the hand turns.

The dot in the middle of the square represents the protruding
finger....the side view shows the side of the finger....

Attachment
less032.gif
Type: image/gif

2745 Re: Question on Handshapes Valerie Sutton Tue  2/8/2000
2751 Re: Question on Handshapes Valerie Sutton Tue  2/8/2000

  Message 2742  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index