forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2805  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Feb 12, 2000  3:29 am
Subject:  Re: Making .GIF Files

On 2/11/00, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
>A question ... Why not use the File Export feature of SW 4.3? Most Graphics
>programs can read a .PCX file anyway. Is there an advantage to a screen
>capture as opposed to a file export ? Most programs refer to it as a
>Paintbrush file. Stuart

---------------------------------------

SignWriting List
February 11, 2000

Hi Stuart - Thanks for your typed letter in SignWriting in ASL. I
received it today! It was easy to read ;-)))

In regards to Exporting Files...yes...you are correct that files can
be exported from SignWriter 4.3. The files are exported to an old
graphics format called PCX, as you mention above.

There is one tiny problem...some computers today have changed since
the old PCX format was developed. Here is the problem that can happen:

-----------------------

Exported File Contains Distorted Symbols

SignWriter exports graphics files that are created with CGA graphics.
If you try to work with these files in a paint program set up for VGA
graphics, the SignWriting symbols will appear distorted.

There are two ways to deal with this problem. The first is to set up
your paint program to work with CGA graphics. The second is to use
your VGA paint program to stretch the symbols back into shape: in
particular, applying a vertical scale factor of 200% to the symbols
should fix the problem.

Sooooo...screen captures solve this problem...there are no distortion
problems with screen captures.

Having said that...I think all of you should try the Export Command
to see if it works for you. I will now send a new email message with
instructions on how to use the Export Command.

Why use the Export Command if you can? Because you can export an
ENTIRE long SignWriter file all at once - rather than screen by
screen...