forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2811  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Wayne in Maine
Date:  Mon Feb 14, 2000  12:14 pm
Subject:  Question about A-dot handshape

Valerie and all -
I'm having trouble deciding how to write various TSL signs which employ
the "a-dot" handshape, i.e. the a-handshape with the thumb fully extended to
the side. Perhaps I'm reading the charts wrong, but it seems that when the
thumb is actually pointing to the right, as in the gesture for thumbing a
ride, the symbol has the thumb sticking out of the top of the symbol. In
"refuse", again it's sticking out of the top of the symbol, although the
thumb is actually pointing back. Same goes for "drunk" where the thumb is
pointing left, but the symbol still had the thumb on top.
Am I interpreting this right? or am I free to turn the symbol for the
a-dot handshape around as I have done in two of the cases below. The
rotated symbols "feel" more natural to me, i.e. they "look more like" the
handshape as I'm perceiving it, but am I breaking a SW rule by doing this?
I also have trouble with this when the a-dot handshape is parallel with
the floor. How would you write, e.g., ASL "help"?
I'm not sure I've made this clear. I may try another GIF file with a
particular TSL example.
- Wayne

Attachment
a-dot.GIF
Type: image/gif

2813 Re: Question about A-dot handshape Valerie Sutton Mon  2/14/2000
2814 Re: Question about A-dot handshape Valerie Sutton Mon  2/14/2000

  Message 2811  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index