forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2821  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Hope Hurlbut
Date:  Fri Feb 11, 2000  2:58 am
Subject:  Re: How to write ... wrist-flexing, rotation movement

Dear Stefan,

It was interesting to see your .gif of 'apple' in DGS. I am doing a
survey of the Signed Languages of Malaysian, and your SignWriting of
'apple' looked just like 'apple' in some dialects of Malaysian Sign
Language. Basically all the dialects use the same word for apple,
except for the 3 states on the east coast of the Peninsula which use
ASL. The variations include the fingers being open instead of closed,
the position of the hand may be slightly different, but the final
position is usually the same.

One Deaf man's sign name is 'apple', because when he first went to
school he liked to eat apples, but always let the juice run down onto
his shirt, so his teachers nick-named him 'apple', and it has stuck to
this day. It is slightly different from the real word for 'apple'
because the hand is claw-shaped, but the motion is the same though
shorter. (He runs his own business, so took time out last week to run
us all over to meet the Deaf in different places, and even took us to
the airport on Friday.)

I look forward to seeing more .gifs.
Hope

I enjoy reading your e-mails.