forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2835  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Feb 16, 2000  4:33 pm
Subject:  Not writing too much detail....

On 2/16/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>(By the way - Irina and friends agreed (big smile)to write "today "
>the easy way -"index down" no misreading - easy writing by hand!

----------------------------

SignWriting List
February 16, 2000

I am so glad to hear this, Stefan...and Charles - see you were
right....it isn't usually necessary to write so much detail.

The German sign for "today" uses the index finger, pointing down...a
little like the American sign for "here". In both countries, there
are differences in the way the sign is produced...but writing "just
enough detail to be understood" is important for a daily writing
system....obviously your students agree ;-)

Meanwhile, we all know that SignWriting can write those details, if
we need to discuss the details in a research paper or whatever.... so
both worlds are available to you.