forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2859  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Feb 18, 2000  2:50 pm
Subject:  Claw Hand or the Cupped Hand?

SignWriting List
February 18, 2000

I received this question yesterday. Look at the attached .GIF for the
question and my answer.

But this question brings up an important point...

Number 2 shows the Claw Hand with Spread Fingers. That is a handshape
that only bends at the middle joint of the fingers. It is used with a
lot of animal signs, because it looks like a claw....

Number 3 shows the Cupped Hand with Spread Fingers. That handshape
shows a bend at the knuckle joint too...it is truly curved
"forward"....it is no longer a claw...it is a true "cup".

If I were writing the sign for RAIN, I would use Number 2...the Claw
Hand. Somehow the Cup seems more like holding a small ball or
whatever and doesn't give the feeling of RAIN like number 2 does.

Also, notice how hard it is to write the Cupped Hand projecting
straight forward. You wrote it correctly, but it does look
weird...why not place the hands at a slight diagonal, as in my Number
3?

So I would choose Number 2 below, if I were writing the sign:

Attachment
less052.gif
Type: image/gif

2860 Re: Claw Hand or the Cupped Hand? Valerie Sutton Fri  2/18/2000

  Message 2859  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index