forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2882  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Feb 22, 2000  4:42 pm
Subject:  Answering South African Questions...

SignWriting List
February 22, 2000

Hello Everyone!
I will now try to answer all of our South African Deaf students'
questions the best I can ;-)

On 2/21/00, Ingrid Foggitt wrote:
>Upon starting the video, the kids reacted first, not to the
>SignWriting, but to the `human interest factor'. E.g. where do the
>presenters come from?

Lucinda O'Grady Batch (Cindy) grew up in New Jersey. She attended
Gallaudet University. Cindy now lives in San Diego ;-)

Kevin Clark grew up in Missouri, and guess what?....He attended a
Deaf residential school in the city of Fulton, Missouri. Although it
is technically called the Missouri School for the Deaf, it is
oftentimes called the Fulton School for the Deaf...and that is the
name of your school in South Africa!! Isn't that a coincidence? :-)

Kevin also attended Gallaudet, and then moved here to Southern California.

>Where are their clothes from? (and a
>discussion between their clothes and ours in SA),

Their clothes were purchased in San Diego specially for the
videotape. We needed a solid blue color for Cindy, and a solid red
color for Kevin....

>How the white presenters look
>different from the white people in SA (which inevitably led to a
>discussion on how the black people in USA look VS the black people in
>SA)

Wow. That question is cultural! I have no idea what the differences
are between the people of South Africa and the United States ;-)

>Have they been to SA, etc etc.

Ah. That is an understandable question...maybe - I don't know!

> I do find this very touching and it is a way of
>looking at film that I have never done before. Anyway, once their
>curiosity was satisfied, I had to rewind the tape and start at the
>beginning, this time looking at the SW factor!

Sounds like you did a great job, Ingrid!

I will send the answers to the other questions soon -