forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2910  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Feb 25, 2000  3:49 am
Subject:  Re: Writing Songs

On 2/24/00, Charles Butler wrote:
>I love the dance writing with music. I would find it easier to write it
>above the music, like multiple vocal lines. It's very interesting.

-----------------------

SignWriting List
February 24, 2000

Yes, you are right, Charles, it could definitely be written above the notes...

For those of you who do not read music - do not panic! You are not
required to read music to write SignWriting songs - not at all!! ;-))

Writing the signs over or under the music notation is just one of
many choices for writing timing in SignWriting, and I will be
teaching you some of the other ways in a few messages from now...

But in regards to music coordination...even though I have notated
volumes of dance choreography, which requires that I coordinate the
DanceWriting with the music....I personally do not read music
well...in other words, I cannot play an instrument.

But there is one thing I do read ...and that is the timing - the
rhythm...because without that knowledge there is no way to write a
dance coordinated with the music.

So when I taught DanceWriting at the Boston Conservatory of Music, I
taught the dancers how to read the counts in the music, and how to
break movement down and place the written dance under the correct
counts...