forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2912  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  cmf
Date:  Fri Feb 25, 2000  2:00 pm
Subject:  Re: IMPORTANT Message from South Africa!

Valerie and Ingrid,

Your descriptions of Deaf kids 'jumping up' to write what they know
about 'signs' confirms once again for me this observable truth...Deaf
children know much more about their language than we as educators have
yet to acknowledge. Given introduction to even only basic symbols of
SignWriting seems to be 'enough' for Deaf students to take the lead and
position themselves 'in the know'. If that's not evidence of
'empowerment', I am at a loss as to where else to look.

Cecilia