forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2938  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Trevor Jenkins
Date:  Tue Feb 29, 2000  9:58 am
Subject:  Re: Writing Songs

> On 2/24/00, Charles Butler wrote:
>>I love the dance writing with music. I would find it easier to write it
>>above the music, like multiple vocal lines. It's very interesting.

I too visualise the parallel placement of SignWriting with Common Practice
Notation. But for me I'd put the signs below the music line where I'd expect
to see the words.

The synchronising of SignWriting symbols with CPN and English text is
obviously something beyod the capabilities of SignWriter (even version 5
with all its improvements). Being a computing scientist by profession I've
returned to an idea I floated here several months ago of using TeX to
typeset SignWriting. (There are already Music packages for TeX so I'd be 1/8
the way toward the goal.)

And Valerie commented

> Writing the signs over or under the music notation is just one of
> many choices for writing timing in SignWriting, and I will be
> teaching you some of the other ways in a few messages from now...

Eagerly waiting for these messages. :-) They may change my mind (and
therefore ease my work) about a TeX based solution.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living
language. So recognise it now.

--

<>< Re: deemed!

  Replies Author Date
2945 Re: Writing Songs Valerie Sutton Tue  2/29/2000

  Message 2938  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index