forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2990  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Trevor Jenkins
Date:  Sat Mar 4, 2000  2:19 pm
Subject:  Re: Deaf Education in South Africa

On Saturday, 4 March, 2000 13:17:49, INGRID FOGGITT
wrote:

> Trevor, this is in response to your queries re ages and ethnic origins amongst
> Deaf school leavers in South Africa.

Thanks for the details. It is very helpful.

As those who read .sigs can tell I'm part of a campaign to have BSL
recognised by the British government as an indigenous language. So
experiences in other countries are very helpful as support for our demand.

> However, Sign Language and Deaf Culture in South Africa is a largely
> unexplored and unchartered territory which leaves much space for research
> and documentation -- which has started in the last five years. So, we have a
> long way to go!

It's not much better here. :-) Oralism still seems to rule. So the sort of
statistics you gave for South Africa are helpful. Is there a quotable source
for those original figures? Maybe we could cite them in documents being sent
to MPs and others who need to be convince of recognition.

> I hope this answers your questions?

:-)

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living
language. So recognise it now.

--

<>< Re: deemed!

  Message 2990  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index