forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2992  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  INGRID FOGGITT
Date:  Sat Mar 4, 2000  2:58 pm
Subject:  Re: Sign Language in South Africa

Dear Trevor and SW members

I will ask the person who gave the lecture what her sources were and then I will email you the details.  Sign Language is not an official language here in SA but it is part of our constitution and also the South AFrican Schools Act where it is recognised as a medium of instruction for the Deaf.  We also have a National Deaf MP (first in SA) and I would be happy to put you in touch with her as she is very knowledgeable on statistics about the Deaf in SA so would be able to give you more concrete information and would be a more quotable resource.

I will let you know.

Good Luck
Ingrid
  Message 2992  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index