forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3047  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Cecelia Smith
Date:  Sat Mar 11, 2000  4:14 am
Subject:  Re: SignWriting as a gateway?

writes:

<< I don't see why SW can't be English. Most of the SW I see tends to *be
signed English rather than ASL. >>

Because signed langagues are different, thats why. Most SW you see is
perhaps in English word order, but it is not signed English. It has been
proven at the Gallaudet Linguistics department that Signed English isn't (it
isn't English). What you see quite often is signs in the same word order as
English. Notice that a lot of the grammar and structure of the English is
not present if you simply write the gloss for the signs. For example, an ASL
sentence could be glossed as

MY FATHER NAME JOE.

  Message 3047  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index