forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3079  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  James Womack
Date:  Tue Mar 14, 2000  9:49 am
Subject:  Re: The View from Ringside

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> Let me give you an example. What does the word "English" mean?
>
> 1. a bunch of sounds that express concepts, uttered by groups of
> people in the western world
> 2. the order of those concepts in a sentence
> 3. how the sounds change depending on past and present tense!!
>
> So what is English anyway? smile

Noise?

> But one spoken language and one signed language can technically be
> produced simultaneously - well - we all know not very well!

Yeah, graduating Deaf kids are proof.

> But you see my point...that because people can speak and sign at the
> same time, they THINK they are using the same language simultaneously
> in two different mediums...but actually they are not... because verb
> conjugations are so different that - well - signing just isn't
> English, even if the signs are placed in English word order.

Obviously.

> I think we would find that Deaf people do not get the same
> information from an interpreted lecture when it is signed in English
> word order...they get more information from ASL...

Just as anynative language user would gt more from use of their
L1 than use of their L2 .

> That is why we are trying to write the best ASL possible, even though
> we don't always succeed...

Well, maybe not, but in mybook; you're closer than anyone else.

> So SignWriting is not language....just as a, b and c are not - and
> placing German words in English order would not be writing
> English...would it?

> Val ;-)

Can't be clearer.

--
squirrelWisdom

https://www.education.eku.edu/Sed/faculty/womack/default.htm

  Message 3079  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index