forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3087  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Joe Martin
Date:  Tue Mar 14, 2000  8:40 pm
Subject:  Re: The View from Ringside

The score to date:

Joe loses one full point for saying "plural 's" when he meant
possessive.

The judges were tempted to detract one more point due to his fuzzy usage
of the word "be." As James pointed out, SW can't "be" English, or ASL
either, as it is only a graphical representation of a language. After due
consideration however, the verdict was returned that such a common
metaphorical usage should not be penalized.

_______________________________________
Joe Martin, Cranky Old Ordinary Student
Top Left Corner USA

PS: as regards this cryptic quote below, we were discussing FOOD at the
time. Different cuts of meat, like gizzard, tongue...
Besides--notice how this was three years ago and she's still holding it
against me. See why I'm so mean to her?

I still have
that quote of a statement you made to me once....

"I've never had brains."
Joe Martin
November, 1997

<giggle> Surely you aren't trying to prove the statement true?