forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3103  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Mar 15, 2000  6:40 am
Subject:  Re: (just a brief progress report, and a "PS-question-idea")

At 10:05 PM -0300 3/13/00, Fernando Capovilla wrote:

>Once a relatively large SW lexicon in BrSL is established, we may
>try to join our
>brilliant colleagues in the SW list, and start doing what they are
>proposing (and
>already doing themselves): using SW to write lessons (in our case,
>lessons written
>in BrSL) about the grammar of a written-language (in our case Portuguese).

--------------------------------------

SignWriting List
March 14, 2000

Hi Fernando -
That is a very interesting idea about teaching Portuguese grammar to
Deaf people in Brazil, by writing the lesson in Brazilian Sign
Language in SignWriting...

I know of no equivalent here in the USA - I would be very interested
to know if anyone has done that?

We do have a couple of grammar lessons about American Sign Language
grammar, written in American Sign Language..."so they are lessons
about ASL taught in ASL and written in ASL"...but I have never seen a
lesson in English grammar, taught and written in ASL...

To record a Deaf person teaching grammar, while signing in ASL - is
an advanced "movement writing" document. The SignWriting is rich with
body shifts and facial expressions...so developing the written
lessons would take time.

I know that Ingvild Roald in Norway has been teaching physics to Deaf
students in Norwegian signs, using SignWriting...so that is an
example of another subject being taught...

So far, any English that is being learned from learning SignWriting
has come from inspiration...it is not an "official lesson", but
instead some students love to read and write more, after they learn
SignWriting, and so they start becoming personally interested in
literature in general...but it is not anything "official", which
would require research, I agree....

SignBankSite:
https://www.SignBank.org

SignWriting List Archives:
https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

To manage your SW List email:

for No Mail: SET SW-L NOMAIL
for Digest Mail: SET SW-L DIGEST
for Regular Mail: SET SW-L MAIL
for Member List: REVIEW SW-L by NAME

  Message 3103  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index