forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3137  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Mar 19, 2000  2:58 pm
Subject:  Re: Transcribing Japanese Sign Language

On 3/13/00, Mark Penner wrote:
>Yes! Absolutely. What I meant to say was NOT to caption them in English or
>Japanese or any other language, but in SignWriting itself. This would be
>done after the transcribing, and would not help anyone know the meaning. It
>would help people relate the SignWriting symbols to the visual reality they
>were conveying. So, as you said, knowing the meaning would only get in the
>way. The purpose would only be to learn SignWriting.

SignWriting List
March 19, 2000

Hi Mark - Of course this is a great idea, but captioning in
SignWriting on video right now would be a very very expensive
proposition...none of us have the money it would take.

Every year in March, I write grant proposals requesting funds for
SignWriting software development, and this year I wrote a request to
a group of hardware developers...it is such a long story that I won't
go into it...mainly, if the funding happens then we will have some
funds to develop Unicode of SignWriting, and if that happens then
Unicode might benefit the technology of captioning in SignWriting on
videos...but that day is a long way off.

At the moment, to caption in SignWriting would mean an editor (a
person) in a TV studio would take the video frame by frame and paste
in the graphic for each sign onto the master video - can you imagine
how much work that would be?!!

And then we would have to time it..the timing of getting the
SignWriting to fit exactly with the signs would take weeks of work I
am sure....

So although "SignWriting Captioning Software" may exist someday,
right now, let's just write SignWriting ourselves with pencil and
paper, or type it on our personal computers...that is plenty!!