forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3153  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Mar 21, 2000  3:31 pm
Subject:  McReynolds Homeschool Web Report #2

SignWriting List
March 21, 2000

Web Report #2
SignWriting Publications

Public Information
The purpose of the SignWriting Literacy Project is to share
information with the general public about the use of SignWriting in
education. Educators need to know if SignWriting can aid in teaching
literacy. We are grateful that you are interested in providing
information, which we hope will help future generations.

We want to improve our SignWriting publications, so that Deaf
students will benefit. We need your feedback and suggestions. The
following publications were donated to your classroom. Please give us
your opinions, which we
value.

McReynolds Homeschool, Michigan
Dawn McReynolds, Mother & Teacher
Nicole McReynolds, Deaf student

1. Goldilocks & The Three Bears, Reading Level 1, Workbook & Coloring Book

Question 1a.
Did your student like this book? Did she write rows of symbols and signs?

Teacher's Answer 1a:
"Nicole wrote the symbols with ease. The only thing that was a hard
concept was the floor plane; opposed to the wall plane."

Question 1b.
Was the information clear? Were there specific questions that were
hard for you to answer?

Teacher's Answer 1b:
"I have a hard time with ASL."

Question 1c.
What improvements would you suggest? Would you add or subtract anything?

Teacher's Answer 1c:
"I really think it is wonderfully put together."

______________________

2. Goldilocks & The Three Bears, Reading Level 2
Basic ASL Reader

Question 2a.
Was your student ready for this book, when she finished Reading Level
1? If not, what was lacking in her knowledge, that made Reading Level
2 too advanced for her? This answer is important, because it will
help us
improve Reading Level 1.

Teacher's Answer 2a:
"She was ready for this book, but I noticed that some signs gave her
a hard time. Ex: HOME, she kept trying to sign EAT for that. NEAR
she signed NEIGHBOR for that. COME she would sign DECIDE for that and
ENTER she signed LATER for that."

Question 2b.
How did your student react to reading complete sentences in ASL? Was
it hard for her, or was it an easy experience for her?

Teacher's Answer 2b:
She loved it; she never once looked at the English words.

Question 2c.
Did your student use the dictionary in the back? Did she have
problems finding a sign in the dictionary?

Teacher's Answer 2c:
Once I showed her the dictionary, she spent some time looking at it.
I think it was very helpful.

Question 2d.
Would you like a workbook to accompany the reading book in Reading
Level 2? If so, how would you like it designed? Would a workbook
teaching the writing of sentences in ASL be useful?

Teacher's Answer 2d:
Yes. That would help with sentence structure. I think writing the
symbols gave her the ability to better understand the placement of
the symbols.

Question 2e. What improvements would you suggest? Would you add or
subtract anything?

Teacher's Answer 2e:
Some signs she had a hard time with because she didn't understand the
movement direction. Is there a way to make the arrows clearer?
Because children read so fast and if there's nothing to catch their
attention, they may sign the symbols wrong.

3. Sutton's American Sign Language Picture Dictionary
Basic ASL signs written in SignWriting, listed by Sign-Symbol-Sequence.

Question 3a.
Did your student like this dictionary? Was she eager to open it and
use it? What did she think of the pictures? Did the pictures help?

Teacher's Answer 3a:
Of course the pictures helped because the deaf are so visual. I think
this is a wonderful reference tool.

Question 3b.
Was the Sign-Symbol-Sequence clear? Did you have problems finding a
sign in the dictionary?

Teacher's Answer 3b:
Never had a problem finding any symbol.

Question 3c.
Would you want us to expand this dictionary to include more signs? If
so, what are some of the signs you would like us to add?

Teacher's Answer 3c:
I would love to see more common household signs and living skill signs.

4. Lessons In SignWriting Video Series & Booklets
Two videos & two booklets.

Question 4a.
As a parent, were the videos helpful?

Teacher's Answer 4a:
I found it very helpful in the beginning, to help me understand the concept.

Question 4b.
As a teacher, were the videos helpful?

Teacher's Answer 4b:
I also found the video's helpful for looking back in times of confusion.

Question 4c.
Do you have any suggestions for improvements of this video series?

Teacher's Answer 4c:
I think the videos were well done. I have no suggestions.

_____________________________

5. Lessons In SignWriting Textbook
Reference book for the school, to assist teachers and parents.

Question 5a.
Have you referred to this textbook to answer specific technical questions?

Teacher's Answer 5a:
It's wonderfully helpful for placement of signs.

Question 5b.
If so, what were some of the questions you needed to answer? What
part of the textbook have you referred to most?

Teacher's Answer 5b:
Mostly arrow placement and spatial planes.

Question 5c.
Do you have any suggestions for improvements of this textbook?

Teacher's Answer 5c:
No

______________________________

Question 6a.
Do you want to receive new, different materials?

Teacher's Answer 6a
Absolutely I can't wait to receive my next set. I'll be on pins and
needles waiting to introduce them.

Question 6b.
If your answer is yes, what would you like to receive first, second,
third, fourth?

Teacher's Answer 6b:

___4___Cinderella, Reading Level 1 (Beginners)

___2___Cinderella, Reading Level 2 (Beginners)

___1___Goldilocks & The Three Bears, Reading Level 3 (Intermediate)

___3___Goldilocks & The Three Bears, Reading Level 4 (Advanced)

Question 6c.
How many copies of the above publications do you need, and when will
you be ready for them?

Teacher's Answer 6c:
I only have one student, and we are ready for the next set now.

_______________________________________

Question 7.
SignWriting is a new idea and sometimes new ideas can be complicated.
Did our publications give a positive and optomistic impression about
writing ASL? What issues, if any, came up? Any suggestions for making
the road smoother in the future?

Teacher's Answer 7:
I think your publications gave a very good impression. Anything new
is looked at with suspicion. I think in time SignWriting will be
used as an equal to English in schools, As soon as the education
system sees that the children use SignWriting as a tool to help them
read and grasp Language.