forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3163  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Mark Penner
Date:  Wed Mar 22, 2000  5:23 am
Subject:  Re: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1

> So even though you are writing German Sign Language, and soon we will
> be writing Japanese Sign Language, we can still look at the first
> facial expression in a sentence, to determine what the eyebrows are
> doing ;-)
>
> It will be fun to find out!

Yes. It will be interesting to see what expressions are percieved as
important by signers from various countries. When we do the editing for our
videos, we find that eyeblinks are major cues in telling us where to fade
in and fade out naturally. But perhaps only a linguist would be interested
in recording all that detail. A Japanese signer would do the eyeblinks
automatically when they came to the end of the sentence or started a
paragraph, without being told to do it by facial expressions.

Some local Japanese Deaf people came by the office yesterday, and their
interest was picqued by the concept of SignWriting. So maybe we'll have
some Deaf people here interested in following the transcription discussion
and giving their input. They teach a monthly Sign Language class I've been
attending, and I showed them my grammar notes. They were intrigued by the
fact that I could write the Japanese and JSL side by side to remember how
it was signed. (This is especially significant given the fact that they had
trouble remembering one month how they had signed it the previous month.)

Mark

Mark Penner
Tokyo, Japan

  Replies Author Date
3177 Re: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1 Valerie Sutton Fri  3/24/2000
3182 Re: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1 Mark Penner Wed  3/29/2000
3185 Re: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1 Valerie Sutton Wed  3/29/2000

  Message 3163  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index