forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3169  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  James Womack
Date:  Thu Mar 23, 2000  2:03 pm
Subject:  Re: SW at the Kentucky School for the Deaf

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> And thank you Becky, James and Cecilia for fighting for SignWriting
> at the Kentucky School for the Deaf...if Deaf children in
> Albuquerque, Canada, Germany, Peru and South Africa can benefit, why
> not the Deaf kids in Kentucky? ;-)....
>
> I am excited that they might want a two day SignWriting presentation
> in Kentucky in June - that is great!

Don't thank us yet. I learned long ago is trust nothing until the
deed is over and done with. So after we do this, I'll gladly
acccept your thanks.
Oh, pessimistic creap, you are, James!! Nah, just seen too many
promises
unkept, goes that came to stops before they even rolled six
inches. I'm practical (I think).

> In regards to the New York Times, I know that Margolit Fox has
> already interviewed several people, but I have not heard anything
> since. Her article will be what they call "filler". Whenever there is
> no other "more timely" news to write about, then they place in an
> educational article like ours...so there is no deadline and no
> telling when it will be published. We surely need it, since we have
> never had national coverage in the US newspapers in the entire
> history of SignWriting, but everyday I say to myself "I must be
> patient"...one of these days it will be published ;-)

I was interviewed via e-mail. Heard nothing afterwards.

Fillers, I used to write them for various magazines back in the
70's including Family Circle. As I recall, they were rather
short, and you
could not include much detail due to word restrictions. Hence I
limited mine to humorous and/or lessons in life items. They were
mostly child related. Trying to recall them now:

"One for You, and Me Too"
"But God Doesn't Care What Clothes You Wear"
"Cookie Tale"
"A Sight Unseen"

In short a tale of two young boys haggling over a single chair, a
6 year old girl who taught me one doesn't need a suit and tie to
worship God, A cookie loving grandson who has a failsafe stragety
for getting around a mom's "No!", and a joke played on a visitng
school bus driver by a teacher at AZ School for the Deaf and the
Blind which has
me laughing even now as I write this.

There were others but these stood out in my memory. suffice to
say, fillers
for Sw are nice and I hope we see more, but they don't allow much
room for detail.

--
Squirrel wisdom:

https://www.education.eku.edu/Sed/faculty/womack/default.htm

  Replies Author Date
3172 Re: SW at the Kentucky School for the Deaf Valerie Sutton Thu  3/23/2000

  Message 3169  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index