forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3175  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Mar 23, 2000  10:50 pm
Subject:  Documentary: "SignWriting In Deaf Education"

On 3/23/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>I loved to read your message. Iīll be thinking od you. Itīs great
>that there will be a camera team. Would love so much to get
>impressions of your presentation. All the best and good luck
>SW is great and my pupils would demonstrate it as well -
>excuse me - they show it day by day!

SignWriting List
March 23, 2000

Everyone...
Tomorrow is an exciting day for all of us. The first "public"
presentation of Deaf children using SignWriting is taking place in
Albuquerque.

So that is why I hired a professional video crew in Albuquerque to
tape the Albuquerque presentation. They will be videotaping for
broadcast quality TV programs. In other words, home video is not TV
quality...so this will be TV quality taping that can be used for a
variety of publications and broadcasts later.

Later, when I receive the high quality master, I will go into a
professional editing studio and edit a new video program "SignWriting
in Deaf Education", in which we would include the Albuquerque
presentation and others, showing that Deaf children are now using
SignWriting. I hope to encourage KPBS, our US educational TV station,
to show the new program.

So Cecilia's presentation tomorrow is only the first of a series I
will be collecting to make this program...it will take time of course.

Stefan...would you like your students to be videotaped for the
program someday? If so, this is what you need to do:

1. Call a local TV station in your area in Germany. Ask if they have
someone who could be hired to come to your classroom to tape your
students working with SignWriting. If they cannot, maybe they know of
another professional group that can do it. Then give me their name
and address and hopefully a phone number and an email address. I will
then talk with them about how much they will charge. I will make the
financial arrangements so they are paid from our noprofit in the US.
Or maybe they might even donate it, as a service to the Deaf around
the world...either way I will make sure it happens...I will tell them
the formats we are using, so our equipment and master videos
coordinate.

2. Then you will need to clear it with your school's administration,
and also with your students and their parents. Be sure everyone wants
this. This might be shown on TV stations around the world for years
to come...

3. Professional videoing of that kind does require good lighting...so
it would be a little like your children are on stage....actually if
you had a true presentation set up so that everyone in the school
would come to see it too...then all the fuss over lights and cameras
would be fun for the whole school and they would find it very
exciting ;-)

I hope we can also do this in South Africa and possibly in France, as
they start to get going...

So would you want your children to be a part of an historic
documentary video of that kind? It could be distributed around the
world, once it is ready, and will serve an important purpose, showing
others that SignWriting can be successful in the classroom...

I look forward to hearing from anyone who would like to have their
classroom participate ;-)

Best -