SignWriting List Forum
Date: Mon Apr 17, 2000 11:24
"Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Subject: Re: Questions About Acrobat .PDF files
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Valerie Sutton wrote:|
> it may be that we could use the Postscript command (under
> Setup under Printing in SignWriter) to "print a postscript file"..in
> other words..instead of printing to a printer ...instead "print to
> disk"...and then that Postscript file on disk, could be brought into
> Acrobat and we could have a .pdf file of a SignWriter document.
Okay, it worked for me! Here's what I did under Windows 95 to
set it up; it should work under any version of Windows:
1) Install Ghostscript and Ghostview (<http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost>).
2) Download prn2file, a DOS utility from PC Magazine, from Shareware.com
unzip it and put prn2file.com into the SW43 directory.
3) Run SW and set my printer to Postscript on LPT2.
And here's what I did to print:
1) Open a DOS window
2) Type "prn2file /P2 test.ps" to redirect LPT2 printing to a file called
3) Run SW and print the file.
4) Open the file "test.ps" in Ghostview; it works.
5) Print the file to the "pdfwrite" device, and check "print to file."
6) Specify the file name (I used "test.pdf".
Ghostscript saved the file to the same directory, and I was able
to open it with Acrobat Reader. I've attached it here.
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
University of New Mexico