forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3209  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Apr 17, 2000  1:55 pm
Subject:  My first question about SignWriter & .PDF files

At 7:24 AM -0400 4/17/00, Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote:

>Okay, it worked for me! Here's what I did under Windows 95 to
>set it up; it should work under any version of Windows:
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith

SignWriting List
April 17, 2000

Angus - Thank you soooo much for trying this. That is very
encouraging and I was able to open your PDF file with no trouble! I
also printed it from an Ink Jet Printer, on my Macintosh, and it
looks as good as it does on the screen.

That is a real gift, because SignWriter 4.3 was not designed for the
Macintosh or for Ink Jet printers, so the PDF file brings SignWriter
to people who normally have trouble printing...

But I do have two important questions...

1. When we print SignWriter files on a Laser Printer, the symbols
lose their "staircases"..in other words..on the screen they look like
they have jagged edges, but somehow the laser printers "smooth" the
symbols' edges. That is a uniquely "laser printer" phenomenon, and I
thought it was Postscript that did that...so I was hoping that maybe
"printing a postscript file to disk" from SignWriter, creating a PDF
file, would give us better looking symbols in the PDF file...but I
bet I was wrong on that...what do you think?

2. SignWriter 4.3 has seven Print Formats. So under Setup in
SignWriter, you make sure Printing is on Postscript. But there is
another feature under Setup, called Format. Under Format, you can
type in a number from 1 to 7 to choose one of the 7 different formats.

Format 1 gives medium-size SignWriting. Format 2 goes a little
smaller. Format 3 and 4 go very very tiny etc....

So the Formats are great ....with all kinds of sizes and placements
on the page. But Format 2-6 only work on Laser Printers. Formats 1
and 7 work with all printers generally, including dot-matrix and ink
jet.

So I am hoping that if we choose Format 3, and then print a
Postscript file to disk creating a PDF file, that SignWriting symbols
will appear in the PDF document, in the Format 3 layout. That
particular layout has a tiny size of symbols that prints beautifully
on Laser Printers. The reduction of the symbols when we print from
Laser Printers is fabulous...with no jagged edges....

If we could bring all 7 Print Formats in SignWriter, into PDF, it
would give all 7 formats to people who normally cannot access them
because they do not have Laser Printers...

Thanks once again, Angus, for all your trouble. I have saved your
instructions and I will try it on one of our Windows machines later...

SignWriting List Help
web page address coming soon ;-)

  Replies Author Date
3213 Re: My first question about SignWriter & .PDF fil Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  4/17/2000
3214 Re: My first question about SignWriter & .PDF fil Valerie Sutton Mon  4/17/2000
3217 Re: My first question about SignWriter & .PDF fil Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  4/17/2000
3220 Angus - Thank you!!! :-) Valerie Sutton Tue  4/18/2000
3222 More wonderful features with .PDF! Valerie Sutton Tue  4/18/2000
3224 Re: More wonderful features with .PDF! Angus B. Grieve-Smith Tue  4/18/2000
3225 Re: More wonderful features with .PDF! Valerie Sutton Tue  4/18/2000
3229 Re: More wonderful features with .PDF! Angus B. Grieve-Smith Tue  4/18/2000
3234 Re: More wonderful features with .PDF! Valerie Sutton Wed  4/19/2000

  Message 3209  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index