forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3242  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Apr 20, 2000  12:35 am
Subject:  SW at the TISLR Conference in July

April 19, 2000

Dear SignWriting List:

Did you know there will be a conference for signed language
researchers in Amsterdam this July? I used to attend those
conferences regularly. Here is the information on the web:

https://www.uva.nl/congresbureau/tislr/programme.html
https://www.uva.nl/congresbureau/tislr/list.of.papers.html

I looked through the list of presenters and I am pleased to say that
several of the presenters use SignWriting in their research...

Researchers don't always mention that they use SignWriting, however.

Some use SignWriting "in silence". I guess they don't feel like
discussing something "controversial".

I hope in time they will speak up...They just might find their peers
want to use it too, but were afraid to ask - ha!

So in looking through the List I was pleasantly surprised to realize
how much progress we have made over 25 years...

The Nicaraguan presenters are the most unique this July - they are
Deaf, native to Nicaraguan Sign Language, and use SignWriting openly!
Yeah! And they will be presenting a paper at the conference - I think
that is admirable!

And I know that Hope Hurlbut from Malaysia is presenting a poster on
Malaysian Sign Language - congrats Hope!

If anyone else is attending, please tell us about your research and
your paper - we would love to know more about it...