forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3249  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
Date:  Fri Apr 21, 2000  5:17 am
Subject:  email.sgn to email1.pdf

Dear Valerie and List,

Thanks to Angus, I was able to succcessfully convert this attached .pdf first lesson file.  To answer a question you asked Angus, Valerie, you would want to set your Interface to LPT2 so the re-direction program prn2file will not interfere with your regular printing to LPT1 from other programs.

Here is how I made the attached email1.pdf, using my K6 Aptiva, running Windows98:

Several assumptions are made here, that you have downloaded, unzipped and installed the prn2file.com utility in the sw directory (it helps to have the sw directory listed in your autoexec.bat's path statement).  It is assumed that you have downloaded and installed GhostView and GhostScript per Angus' instructions earlier.  If not, look up his message with the download links and do so before proceeding. To follow these instructions you should had email.sgn in the SW directory.  If you don't have it, refer to Valerie's last message and copy it.

1.  Go to the MSDOS prompt in Windows.  The DOS prompt worked fine for me, saves having to restart the computer again right away to go back into Windows.
2. Type the following at the command prompt (C:\):
                                           prn2file P2 C:\temp\email1.ps
  and strike the <enter> key.
This tells the computer that when you send a file to the printer LPT2 (P2) from SignWriter (assuming you have followed Valerie's very good instructions for postscript printing, set your Interface to LPT2 and have chosen format 1), that the postscript file will be output to a file called email1.ps and placed in the C:\temp directory(you can actually pick any directory and filename, it just has to be included in this instruction.
3. Start SignWriter4.3.  Select <alt>P and enter the file name, email. The file prints. Quit SignWriter.
4. Type the word, exit, at the command prompt to return to Windows, and strike the <enter> key.  Start GhostView (which will automatically start GhostScript in the background).  Go to File and Open on the drop down menu. Go to the directory C:\temp and select email1.ps. Click on the Open button.  This will open your new .ps file in GhostView.
5. Select File and Print on the dropdown menu.  In the pop-up instruction box, select "pdfwrite" as print device, I chose 600 dpi (finer resolution usually copies thin lines better), check the "Print to File" checkbox, and click on Ok  button.
6.  You will now find your new email1.pdf file in the C:\temp directory (or wherever you had stored your .ps file using prn2file).

Jerry

mailto:jzs@mail.com
https://cyberjer.com
https://cyberjer.com/signbibl/

Attachment
email1.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 31k
Download

Replies Author Date
3250 Re: email.sgn to email1.pdf Angus B. Grieve-Smith Fri  4/21/2000
3251 Re: email.sgn to email1.pdf Valerie Sutton Fri  4/21/2000