forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3339  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat May 6, 2000  6:16 pm
Subject:  Re: SW in Databases

At 12:33 AM -0400 5/6/00, Charles Butler wrote:
>Is the full ASL dictionary as you have compiled it in the past ten years
>available on line for browsing? How could one get a print out of it? Having
>it as a published volume in both English-ASL order and ASL-English order
>would be extremely helpful to show people the facility of Sign Writing who
>remain unconvinced.

SignWriting List
May 6, 2000

No. It is not online for browsing. That is why I started:

The SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org

SignBank will be where these databases are located someday. But they
are not ready right now. So the SignBank Site is under construction
(smile). It may take several years, considering my workload.

There has not been a dictionary project for the past ten
years---there has been no funding for it, nor any time, since working
on the software and other projects has taken my time.

So the one-summer's work of three DAC members is the only dictionary
we have available. It is the ASL dictionary of 3000 signs, that is
available for free in the SignWriter Computer Program, and can be
downloaded as a part of the free shareware online:

Download SignWriter Shareware
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw128.html

A person can print the entire dictionary from SignWriter, if they
have a laser or dot matrix printer.

If they do not, they can print it out in another way. They can
convert the dictionary to PDF and print it, and view it online that
way too.

Or it can be purchased in printed form:

Sutton's American Sign Language Dictionary
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw122.html

The only sign-to-word dictionary we have published at the moment is:

Sutton's Picture Dictionary in ASL
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw213.html

It is also online:
https://www.SignWriting.org/asl001.html

And in time, sign-to-word dictionaries can be placed in other
database software too - so it is all a matter of time. That is why I
asked what database software people like, so we can gear our future
databases to software that people prefer...

Thanks for writing -