forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3341  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat May 6, 2000  11:22 pm
Subject:  Re: SW in Databases

At 9:41 PM +0000 5/6/00, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
>Oracle, Ingres, Trip, MySQL, PostGres, rdb, DB2 to name a few. :-)

SignWriting List
May 6, 2000

Hello Everyone and Trevor -
Many thanks for the information about all of these database software
programs - wow - there are a lot of them! ;-)

The question is how we can take the EXISTING SignWriter 4.3 and
combine it with EXISTING database software.

That way people could start building databases immediately without
waiting for new software to be developed.

So what existing database software is preferrred?...

Macintosh: FILEMAKER
(at least that would be my choice as a Mac user)

Unix: SGML or XML
(Trevor's choice? ;-)

Windows: MICROSOFT ACCESS or ORACLE?
(am I right about this?)

Here are some FILEMAKER features...
1. Publishes dynamic databases to the web...single-click web
publishing of the database
2. ODBC support allows users to access FileMaker Pro data from
ODBC-compliant applications
3. Imports data from other ODBC compliant sources such as SQL Server,
and Oracle databases
4. You can store 3-D graphics and animation in the database
5. Fully integrated with Microsoft Office
6. Enhanced Microsoft Excel spreadsheet conversions etc etc

plus FILEMAKER has a "Developer's" version that makes it possible
for us to mold something uniquely for SignWriting, and that might be
the REAL answer - we could play with the existing software a bit to
see if we generally like it, and then see if we can't "build in"
other features that we need for a SignWriting database...

Since I own FileMaker Pro, I will try small experiments and keep you
informed...

And if some of you own database software yourselves, you might try
some experiments too!

Thanks for the info, Trevor -