forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3348  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Trevor Jenkins
Date:  Sun May 7, 2000  9:00 pm
Subject:  Re: SW in Databases

On Sat, 6 May 2000 16:22:56 -0700, Valerie Sutton
wrote:

> Hello Everyone and Trevor -
> Many thanks for the information about all of these database software
> programs - wow - there are a lot of them! ;-)

and that's not the half of them.

> The question is how we can take the EXISTING SignWriter 4.3 and
> combine it with EXISTING database software.

I think the problem is the "existing" SignWriter 4.3. I've not used it
enough to make a definitive statement concerning its interoperability with
other applications. From the context in which the original questions wer
asked (moving SW dictionaries to a database) I think the easiest method is
to create ad addtional utility that will extract the dictionary file into a
(new) format suitable for importing into a database system (and
comma-delimited might be suitable). The issue will be how to convert the
SignWriter glyphs into a "blob" that can be loaded into any datbase.

> That way people could start building databases immediately without
> waiting for new software to be developed.

I'd need more experience with SW4.3 to suggest anything other than create a
"dictionary dump" program.

> So what existing database software is preferrred?...
>
> 2. ODBC support allows users to access FileMaker Pro data from
> ODBC-compliant applications
> 3. Imports data from other ODBC compliant sources such as SQL Server,
> and Oracle databases

ODBC allows you to use the big boy databases I mentioned. The question is
whether we'll have them available to us.

> Thanks for the info, Trevor -

As usual I have more questions than answers. :-)

--

<>< Re: deemed!

  Replies Author Date
3352 Re: SW in Databases Valerie Sutton Sun  5/7/2000
3358 Re: SW in Databases Stuart Thiessen Mon  5/8/2000
3362 Re: SW in Databases Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  5/8/2000
3367 Re: SW in Databases Stuart Thiessen Mon  5/8/2000
3369 Re: SW in Databases Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  5/8/2000
3370 Re: SW in Databases Stuart Thiessen Mon  5/8/2000

  Message 3348  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index