forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3357  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon May 8, 2000  12:39 am
Subject:  Re: Norwegian Fingerspelling & Rotation

>Dear Valerie,
>
>nr.4 is the right one, as you already put in. But it is not the H,
>it is the U. But the H is another question... we have three
>different ones, but this is the only really one-handed one. Then one
>is a mouth-hand one, and one is a a two-handed one (You know we have
>a two handed alphabeth as well? I would love to be able to reach
>that by the Shift-key...).
>
>Take care,
>
>Ingvild

--------------------------------

SignWriting List
May 7, 2000

Thank you Ingvild! I have now placed the new and old Norwegian
Fingerspelling Keyboard designs on the web:

Norwegian Fingerspelling Keyboards
for SignWriter 4.3
https://www.SignWriting.org/fkey047.html

FACIAL CONTACT ON FINGERSPELLING KEYS
Yes, we can place contact with the head and face on a Fingerspelling
Keyboard. We have already done this and it works. See this design:

Fingerspelling Keyboard, Spain-Madrid
for SignWriter 4.3
https://www.SignWriting.org/fkey034.html

SHIFT KEY IN FINGERSPELLING KEYBOARDS
There is good and bad news ;-)

The bad news is that SignWriter 4.3 does not allow Shift Key
placement in Fingerspelling. That is because we had memory
restrictions in the mid-1980's, when SignWriter was originally
designed.

The good news is that our new Sutton Font series, which are True Type
Fonts, have the capability for Shift-Keys. So in True Type, you can
definitely access the Shift Key. Therefore we can do more
sophisticated designs in the Sutton Fonts series:

SUTTON TRUE TYPE FONTS
Designed by Michael Everson
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw214.html

So let's save the two-handed Norwegian Fingerspelling Keyboard for True Type!

I will send you a copy of the new Norwegian key file soon -

Say "hi" to Norway!