forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3416  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon May 15, 2000  12:59 pm
Subject:  Re: Lessons In Sign Language Transcription

SignWriting List
May 15, 2000

Mark Penner from Japan supplied us with a copy of a video of Japanese
Sign Language. Thank you, Mark!

And Mark has already started to do some transcription on his own. I
believe others have too. Here is what Mark wrote about the video and
what he has accomplished so far:

----------------

Mark wrote:
"I just tried my first sentence of transcription. An hour and a half just to
get it written in pencil. I took a gamble and started at 9:2, the first
verse of signing on the tape. (I surely hope we won't be transcribing the
preface. It is terribly "undeaf", which I know doesn't matter for
practicing transcription, but . . . We don't include it on any of our
tapes any more, and are working on a new preface, but figure none is better
than the one we had.)

Anyway, I am thinking that this class may end up with a paragraph or so
transcribed. Maybe not, seeing how much time it took just to do the one
sentence, and I'm sure there will be many corrections as well. But even if
we don't get that far, if we could start toward a chunk that I could later
finish myself and put on our website, that would be another "bird" with the
same stone. With that in mind, I made a list of several portions that might
make a coherent whole. Please don't feel that since I've already started on
9:2 that the group needs to start there. I had a bit of time today and took
the chance, that's all. Some of the other portions might be better because
they're shorter.

9:2-8
10:17-22
23-27
42-45
11:45-52
12:13-17
28-31
41-44

Interestingly enough, in the process of transcribing the fingerspelling, I
think I may have found a character where the "book" form and the "real"
form are not the same (as in ASL's "m" and "n"). I am going to start
looking to see if it's just this signer, or a common phenomenon.

Well, enough for now.

Thanks for helping us learn to read and write,

Mark
Mark Penner
Tokyo, Japan

  Replies Author Date
3417 Re: Lessons In Sign Language Transcription Valerie Sutton Mon  5/15/2000
3418 Re: Lessons In Sign Language Transcription Valerie Sutton Mon  5/15/2000

  Message 3416  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index