forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3523  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Jun 5, 2000  4:50 pm
Subject:  Re: Sign Languages in Switzerland

At 4:16 PM +0100 6/5/00, Michael Everson wrote:

>Also, is Swiss-German Sign Language related to German Sign Language in any
>particular way? And is Swiss-French Sign Language related to French Sign
>Language in any particular way?

SignWriting List
June 5, 2000

Hi Michael and Everyone -

My understanding is that Swiss-German Sign Language and German Sign
Language (DGS) are two very different languages. The reason I assume
that is because both regions are translating our "Lessons In
SignWriting Textbook".

In Germany, Stefan Woehrmann is translating the book into German Sign
Language (DGS).

In Switzerland, Penny Boyes Braem, and her team at the
Forschungszentrum fuer Gebaerdensprache, in Basel and Zurich, are
translating the book into Swiss-German Sign Language.

Both books will also be in the German spoken language, but their Sign
illustrations have to be different, because the Sign Languages are
different...

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3523  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index