forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3592  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Jun 17, 2000  1:41 pm
Subject:  Re: Irish Blessing "peace"

At 12:39 PM +0200 6/17/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>That is great ! That is exactly the point which I would like to discuss. I
>looked up the signs for peace in ASL (just the versions that are offered in
>our SW 4.3 programm Dictionary 001 and compared the version #2 with what is
>written by Charles. I looked up the German DGS sign (one version) for "peace
>= Friede(n) ". Hmm - Now I have to decide - is this spelling from Charles
>another sign for peace (Irish SL ) - endposition hands up parallel to the
>wall (have a look at my gif "Peace Frieden" ) or is it just a kind of
>"tight SW spelling " that is (only ) understood by people who are familiar
>with the SL, the context, the style of the author and so on.

SignWriting List
June 17, 2000

Hello Everyone!
And thank you, Stefan, for your detailed messages.

You MUST understand something: There is NO Irish Sign Language in
ANYTHING that Charles wrote.

ALL of that was American Sign Language.

Irish Sign Language is a very very different language than American
Sign Language, just as Swiss-German Sign Language is different than
German Sign Language.

Charles is an American who lives in the United States. And he knows
American Sign Language. So he took the Irish blessing that was
written in English, and then translated it into ASL, not ISL.

This is very important. Because I don't want anyone to think that ISL
uses the American sign for "peace". I doubt if they do....nor would
they want to be connected to ASL in any way.

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3592  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index