forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3594  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Jun 17, 2000  2:31 pm
Subject:  Re: Irish Blessing "peace"

At 12:39 PM +0200 6/17/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>Itīs just this - to learn to understand the writing . Do read the signs
>instead of signing what is based on additional background -Knowledge. That
>makes our Japanese bible- project to important to me. Joe Martin wrote
>this wonderfull story about the two people who tried to understand a Russian
>text -- ;-) reading but not knowing, listening and understanding but unable
>to read - Same experiments would be great in our field!

SignWriting List
June 17, 2000

Yes. But teaching people to understand Russian, and teaching the
Russian alphabet are two different things.

Teaching English, and teaching the International Phonetic Alphabet,
are two different things.

Teaching the German alphabet with umlauts etc, and teaching what
German words mean, are two different things.

Teaching people American Sign Language, and teaching them
SignWriting, are two different things.

SignWriting does not teach language. It is a way to read and write movement.

So at least, when you receive a message from me, just know that I am
not teaching ASL or any signed language...

I am just teaching the equivalent to the International Phonetic
Alphabet, but for writing movement instead.

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3594  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index