forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3612  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Jun 19, 2000  5:26 am
Subject:  Re: SIGN WRITING

At 9:02 AM -0400 6/18/00, Robin Homesley wrote:
>FOR EXAMPLE: WE HAVE ONE INTERPRETER THAT IS OUR "SIGN WRITING
>QUEEN." SHE HAS HAD SUCH GREAT SUCCESS WITH TWO OF MY STUDENTS THAT
>I AM A BELIEVER (NOW I PLAN TO TAKE THE LESSONS TO IMPROVE MY SKILLS
>TOO). ONE OF THESE TWO STUDENTS IS MENTALLY DISABLED AND IS
>PROFOUNDLY DEAF. SHE IS 15 YEARS OLD. SHE CAN READ LESS THAN 25
>WRITTEN ENGLISH WORDS (NOT BECAUSE WE HAVE NOT WORKED ON THIS
>EITHER). HOWEVER, WHEN STORIES AND QUESTIONS ARE PRESENTED IN SIGN
>WRITING, SHE CAN READ THE STORIES AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS. SHE CAN
>"INTERPRET" THE SIGN WRITING BETTER THAN ME. WOW ! THIS IS THE ONE
>STUDENT THAT I HAVE NOT HAD ANY MAJOR READING SUCCESS WITH UNTIL
>SIGN WRITING. MY OTHER STUDENTS DO IT FOR FUN (SEND "CODED" NOTES
>TO THEIR FRIENDS,...).

SignWriting List
June 18,2000

Hello Robin and welcome to the SignWriting List!

Your message has cheered me up - I am so happy to know that your
students are reading and writing so well, with little training in
SignWriting...it is amazing how the students teach the teachers,
isn't it?

The fact that one child's language skills are improving...that is wonderful....

In regards to your administrators...did you know that we have a free
program for teachers who are willing to give us documented feedback?
Below is a description of the project. If you would like to
participate, please show this to your school's administrators. Write
to me privately to work out the arrangements. I can also send you a
free packet of information in the mail....and thanks again for
sharing your successes with us, Robin....

_______________________________

The SignWriting Literacy Project
FREE TO SCHOOLS FOR THE DEAF

The SignWriting Literacy Project is pioneering a new concept in Deaf
Education. SignWriting books, videos and software are donated to
classes of Deaf students. In return, teachers, students and parents
provide documented feedback. The results are published on the
SignWriting Web Site and in an annual SignWriting Literacy Project
Report, distributed to educators.

SignWriting is a way to read, write and type any signed language. All
materials donated to the schools are written in American Sign
Language (ASL), authored by Deaf native ASL signers. The SignWriting
videos are taught in ASL with English voice-over. Fluency in reading
and writing American Sign Language is used as a bridge to teach
written English. Although this is a new project, feedback is already
coming in, and the results are positive.

The project began in 1998. Below are some sample web pages about one
participating school.

Would you like your school to participate? Your students must be Deaf
and use Sign Language. One teacher must be online, so they can
receive technical support through email.

Write for more information:

The SignWriting Literacy Project
The DAC, Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
P.O. Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
Voice(858)456-0098...TTY(858)456-0010...Fax(858)456-0020
Email:
Web: https://www.SignWriting.org

An example of one participating school:

Albuquerque Public Schools
SignWriting Literacy Project
https://www.SignWriting.org/usa/albuquerque/albuqu.html

  Message 3612  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index