forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3615  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Mon Jun 19, 2000  4:06 pm
Subject:  Re: SIGN WRITING

Hello Robin.

welcome aboard.
Yes - SW is a wonderfull tool to help students to understand what is meant by "reading" and "writing ".
There is one girl in my class who has had a really hard time . Being at school for almost three years now she is unable to write and read more than 15 words !

But with the help of SW - she starts to improve. This week we are learning a lot of new names of memorycards. I printed the names on cards in written German and at the bottom I printed the SW - sign.
Now she has no problem at all to find the cards- to ask another student to fetch a card. To look for a special card that I ask her to look for ....
Now Iīm going to minimize the seize of the SW -sign .. Itīs 0,8 cm right now - you wouldnīt believe how small it looks like - next to the written word. But - she has no problem to "read the whole card "
So slowly fading out the SW - signs for these words - I hope to get her to identify the written words.
Itīs a beginning - I know - but you should see her eyes !! Cecilia knows - what Iīmtalking about. Am I right ???

All the best

Stefan ;-)