forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3650  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Jun 26, 2000  7:34 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting can inspire speech....

SignWriting List
June 26, 2000

For those who are new to the SignWriting List...even though a
discussion of lip reading has been stimulated from an article in the
New York Times about Cued Speech, actually SignWriting has nothing to
do with lip reading...

I know for those who know SignWriting you probably wonder why I took
the time to say that - but I know how hard it is for new List members
to grasp what in the world we are talking about!

So if SignWriting inspires speech - it is not lip reading it
inspires, is my guess...but instead vocalization....

Meanwhile I have two final points -

1. Cued Speech and other systems like Cued Speech, CAN be written
with SignWriting symbols..and that has some minor uses for those who
want to study Cued Speech...just as an illustration would have a use
too...it is another way to illustrate how the hands and mouth
interact.

2. What really stimulated all this was an article in the New York
Times about Cued Speech. I just wrote to the journalist writing an
article about SignWriting in the New York Times. I have been
disappointed because it did not get published back in the Spring. But
Margalit Fox, the author of the article, just wrote to tell me that
it is still being planned and she is starting to write it now...it
may be published in a month or so.

So a little publicity for SignWriting couldn't hurt!

I hope others will consider writing to your local newspapers to
encourage them to write articles about SignWriting? Please help us
with spreading the word. Give them our web site address and my email
address and tell them to contact me -

Many thanks!!

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

Visit the SignWritingSite:
https://www.SignWriting.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
(858)456-0098 voice
(858)456-0010 tty
(858)456-0020 fax

  Message 3650  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index