forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3689  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jun 30, 2000  12:06 am
Subject:  Re: standardized spellings

At 7:06 PM +0200 6/29/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>But what is Irina (all deaf family background)
>doing if she doesnīt follow the rules ??? May be little deaf kids develop
>their own patterns ?? May be that deaf teens donīt care about grammar and
>simply sign just as they feel ? Perhaps there are many influences in a
>special situation that have to be taken into account. In case Irina
>(competent signer) is in contact with Danny (they are very familiar with
>each other; they live together ) she signs in a very quick and "small" way.
>But if she tries to inform another classmate (poor level in DGS) she use
>large movements, another sequence another amount of input, more mixture of
>exact signed German and DGS . ... Violotion of standardized DGS - but
>nevertheless competent signer - is that possible ? I think - yes it is - as
>long as the two signers agree on a specific set - "register" to inform each
>other about their ideas ??

SignWriting List
June 29, 2000

Hello SW List members, and Stefan!

Thanks for the interesting post Stefan.

May I make a guess?

It is my guess that Irina is signing in a true form of DGS with
Danny, who has good signing skills. But Irina is "shouting" at the
kids who do not know how to sign well....

When she is moving in a slower and larger fashion, she is shouting....

That is exactly what happens in the hearing world sometimes....

Sometimes hearing people make the mistake of shouting at a person who
does not understand their spoken language...even though the person
can hear perfectly well....

In my mind, this is not a violation of any standardization - It is
just human to over exxagerate for "foreigners"...

And the teenagers just might be signing better than you realize - if
you heard the slang my 11-year-old nephew uses I would say that is
close to being a different language - ha!! It may be that slang is
creeping into their language, from the peer pressure of being a
teenager?

Smile...no matter what, it all can be written in SW ;-)

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3689  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index