forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3723  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Sat Jul 1, 2000  9:53 am
Subject:  Re: Getting Started

Hello Robin,

" I would really like to understand more about what I am doing before I implement this with any of my students."

I can understand that very well. Just answer to yourself the question  : Why do you want to use SW ?
When I started - almost a year ago - I read all the messages and reports in the teachers forum. The spirit and content helped me to find my orientation.
So if there is a vague idea that SW could be a supportive element in teaching deaf students - it would be helpfull to understand the general principle - we discussed here so many times.
To learn to read and write SW is just a matter of studying the offered materials and for you it´s much easier because everything is written, explained and shown in English adapted to ASL. In addition to that your first SW Dictionary is part of the Computer -Programm.
It helps to be a little bit crazy about SW to overcome the first phase of frustration if things seem to progress sooooo slowly - (I mean especially the writing aspect !! )

But in the end - you´ll see - it helps a lot to support your students .

Stefan ;-)

I'm reading all of these e-mails, and I must say "Wow, I'm glad people do understand this !!"  I'm having trouble getting organized to learn SW.  Also, I'm trying to copy information for what to order for the school system (but I need something in print to show my administrators), but having problems knowing what to get first and how to go about this.  Any advice on how to go about this ?  I would really like to understand more about what I am doing before I implement this with any of my students.   Thanks !!!

  Message 3723  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index