forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3775  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Sat Jul 8, 2000  12:11 pm
Subject:  Re: rotation symbols and directions

Valerie,

Looking at your rotation symbols, from the hand you give, there are at least
two rotations I don't see as being physically possible from the orientation
of the hand you start with. I am trying to write using the pinky as the
tracer or the thumb as the tracer and neither seems to work in at least two
positions unless your arm can swing completely around in both directions,
which unless one's hand is a robot's, the joints don't work that way. I
don't understand.

From the halfway position, which you start with, which arrow turns the hand
so that you see the back of it? (the end position index finger now moves to
the left side of the drawing and the box goes black). Which arrow turns the
hand so that you see the front of it? (box is now white) I still don't get
it, and I've been using this system for 25 years.

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong but I read the double line being the arm, and
the arrows being the rotation, where if the arrow has a double line, your
movement is an up-and-down rotation like the ASL sign "happen". Could you
possibly use the signs "happen" and "shut the double doors" so that both
hands, left and right are shown both pivoting in and out and pivoting up and
down. I need that illustration to really understand it.

Charles

  Message 3775  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index