forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3834  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Aug 4, 2000  5:57 pm
Subject:  Re: Eyegaze & Happy Weekend!

At 11:53 AM +0200 8/3/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>I think of my eyes as positioned at the back-wall -there is no way to go
>back with my eye-gazes - in case I donīt move my head to the left or right -
>instead of that I can look almost straight sideways if I really try (but
>canīt see anything sharp - ouch!!)
>forward diagonally up down, left , right - no problem - but back - how do
>you do that ??? ;-)

SignWriting List
August 4, 2000

Hello Everyone, and Stefan -
Thanks for this message about eyegaze. The "back eyegaze" is
definitely used and cannot be thrown out, not only for receptive
writing, but in other cases too.

As you mention above, if you were to turn your head sideways, and
then your eyes gaze sideways too (towards the reader), the eyegaze is
directed towards the reader's chest...so the back direction of
eyegaze is possible because it is based on space, and the direction
in space, no matter where the signer is facing....

In other words....the bottom of your page is the reader's chest at
all times. The top of the page is the front wall in front of the
reader at all times. The signer can turn and face different
directions, while the reader is the observer. When we are writing
Expressive, the reader is viewing the back of the signer and becoming
the signer. But the signer can turn to the side too....but the
paper's relationship to space and the reader remains the same.

So gazing side, while facing side, directs the eyegaze towards the
reader's chest....so the "back" arrow is used in that case...once
again, signers read these details immediately without questioning
them - it only sounds difficult because we are using the English
language to describe visual things....

The very reason I have been trying to work behind the scenes is to
develop the teaching materials that will explain this properly....but
that means little time for chatting online - I can't do everything,
darn it!! ;-)

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend....Monday will start a new
week and many new topics....I hope you all enjoy the wonderful
Norwegian article this weekend!!

My best to all of you -

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3834  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index