forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3858  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stuart Thiessen
Date:  Mon Aug 21, 2000  10:21 pm
Subject:  Re: Pledge Alligiance in SW

Just a thought .... I wonder how many of these kind of formalized ASL
translations of standard statements do we have? The example here is the
Pledge of Allegiance. In liturgical churches like Catholic, Lutheran,
etc., they also have rote sayings that rarely change. Maybe there are
other contexts that there may be formal, rote sayings. I wonder if that
would be a good thing to post to the web page as examples of how SW can
help express some of these already formalized ASL translations. (Just like
in English we have a standard text for the Pledge, etc.) I'm sure that
would be a relatively simple project that we could help Valerie put
together and put on the web, and it would show one very useful function of
SW. I'm sure other countries have their own versions of these kinds of
things too.

Thanks,

Stuart

At 17:45 08/21/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Ok, I'm about to go out of my mind here! Richard and I have been trying to
> >write the pledge of alligance in SW, but he is so used to following it word
> >by word that our ASL and English have crossed. So I ask anyone who could
> >help me, please can you give me the ASL translation?
> >
> >I wrote down the gloss, but really need feedback on this thanks!!!!
> >
> >Smile
> >Nancy Cole

Stuart Thiessen
4616 Hickman
Des Moines, IA 50310

  Replies Author Date
3860 Pledge Alligiance in SW Nancy Cole Mon  8/21/2000
3861 Re: Pledge Alligiance in SW Valerie Sutton Mon  8/21/2000
3862 Re: Pledge Alligiance in SW Nancy Cole Tue  8/22/2000
3867 Re: Pledge Alligiance in SW Valerie Sutton Tue  8/22/2000
3863 Re: Pledge Alligiance in SW Valerie Sutton Tue  8/22/2000
3866 Re: Pledge Alligiance in SW Stefan Woehrmann Tue  8/22/2000
3870 Re: Pledge Alligiance in SW Angus B. Grieve-Smith Wed  8/23/2000
3871 Re: Pledge Alligiance in SW Valerie Sutton Wed  8/23/2000
3868 Re: Pledge Alligiance in SW Nancy Cole Wed  8/23/2000

  Message 3858  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index