forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3950  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  7:32 pm
Subject:  Thanks for everyone's advice ;-)))

On 9/20/00, Bill Reese wrote:
>VALERIE! DO NOT TOUCH THE AUTOEXEC.BAT FILE!!!!
>
>Excuse me for the caps, but that's extremely important. The autoexec.bat
>file is ran during bootup and it has settings needed for your machine to
>work right. So don't touch until you know what you are doing. ;-)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

SignWriting List
September 20, 2000

Many thanks, Bill!

You are correct ;-)

The ONE thing I know from working with computers since 1984 is...

"Never touch an autoexec.bat file without the help of a DOS expert"!

So I didn't, and you are right, I would have totally confused my
computers. In fact, some of the autoexec.bat editors didn't have
ANYTHING in them - they were totally blank...so I wrote to Jerry and
he explained that in the old days, Windows relied on MS-DOS to
function...but times are changing...

Which means that future Windows users, will know as little about
MS-DOS as Macintosh users...yeah!

Thanks so much for all your advice...I will read your other messages later -

Have a wonderful day everyone!

PS. Can someone go up on the AltaVista Translation Web Page and
translate Stefan's German message to English? That would be great fun
- you can do this on this web page:

AltaVista Translation Service on the Web (free)
https://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/translate.dyn

And thanks for the message in German, Stefan!

Valerie Sutton

Visit the SignWritingSite:
https://www.SignWriting.org

  Message 3950  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index