forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4029  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Sun Oct 15, 2000  3:31 pm
Subject:  SW and very young children

Dear Valerie and listmembers,

especially the teachers and counselors and parents who are interested in working with very young children (hearing or deaf) may be interested in this little story.

My little son Gordian is 2 years and three months old. He is often with me and has already realized that these arm-movements and the facial expressions are something special if Iīm in contact with Deaf people. Whenever he watches a signer on TV he starts to perform facial expressions and moves his little hands and arms -

OK. Some day a week ago he watched his brothers reading SW-falshcards.

Just out of fun  we showed to little Gordian the SW-flashcard for cat and told him -  "die Katze"
(the cat)  and performed the sign for cat.

Gordian isnīt able to articulate all the German words properly - so he never would say "die Katze" . He addresses the cat as "miau" . The lion is "uaah", the sheep is " baeh"  etc. He can understand the word if he hears it - but he has another name if he wants to comunicate about it.

This little boy is able read 20 SW signs !! He is on the way to perform the signs in a amusing cute way.
It seems so much fun to him !! Again and again he comes upstairs and asks for the "miau" . Itīs a good possibility to meet his father as well - I understand -- ha ha ha
So who knows - perhaps he would write this story somehow different -  SW ist great - Papa has time to play with me !!!

All the best

Stefan ;-)

 He is only interested in SW-signs that carry important information. crocodile, lion, name-signs of his brothers, Mama,

  Replies Author Date
4031 Re: SW and very young children denny99 Sun  10/15/2000
4032 Re: SW and very young children Stefan Woehrmann Sun  10/15/2000
4047 Re: SignWriting Handshape Sequence 1999 Valerie Sutton Tue  10/24/2000
4048 SignWriting Handshape Sequence 1999 Valerie Sutton Tue  10/24/2000
4234 SW and very young children Stefan Woehrmann Thu  11/16/2000
4239 Re: SW and very young children Valerie Sutton Fri  11/17/2000
4253 Re: SW and very young children Stefan Woehrmann Fri  11/17/2000

  Message 4029  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index