forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4034  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Wed Oct 18, 2000  2:59 am
Subject:  Carmen Miranda

Thought people would get a chuckle out of this. While I was in Brazil and
visiting Cristina in Porto Alegre, we discussed the US and Brazilian signs
for the entertainer "Carmen Miranda".

The following attachment is a comparison of our two signs for the same
person. US signers see Carmen throwing her head back and posing like a
danceuse. The Brazilian sign shows her dancing, changing hands.

It's rather fun to compare the same person as viewed by different cultures.

Charles Butler

Attachment
Carmen.jpg
Type: image/jpeg

  Message 4034  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index