forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4151  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Fri Nov 10, 2000  1:37 pm
Subject:  Re: Rigth and Left

I agree completely with your intuition Stefan and Sign-Net.  For me it is consistent with the whole system that way. would tend to put all fingers on the right hand palm toward the reader on the right side.  Essentially flipping the hand over from the back of the hand illustration.   It doesn't make any sense to me otherwise.

Charles Butler
Here in our basic course of sign writing and teaching the third group of handshapes all the deaf (and I really mean ALL of them), just didn't agree with the right and left symbols..I will explain better:
Right hand, bent 3 (look at the fingers drawn at the right side)
Now look at the same right hand and the fingers are drawn at the left side
and so on...

>>>I'd read these as my left hand<<<<<

If we use our visual sense we should agree with them...how can it be ?
For them the correct hands would be:
left   right

Agreed!!!!!

left   right

Agreed!!!!

and so on...
Can anyone help us ?

Attachment
attachment
Type: image/jpeg

attachment
Type: image/jpeg

attachment
Type: image/jpeg

attachment
Type: image/jpeg

attachment
Type: image/jpeg

attachment
Type: image/jpeg

4161 Re: Rigth and Left Valerie Sutton Sun  11/12/2000

  Message 4151  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index