forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4276  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Sat Nov 25, 2000  5:40 pm
Subject:  Re: Translation Challenge: Can You Read The ASL?

Ok, I don't know much ASL. I'm late-deafened. English is my language,
Conceptually Accurate Signed English (CASE) is how I express that
language in sign. My sign skills are probably 4th grade level. ;-)

Here's my attempt at translating, literally:

--------------

giraffe his name ivan. by nancy romero. number(?) thirteen yesterday.
pause i car monorail. there south dakota wild animal park. we party,
mistake, see giraffe he named ivan there line collect shoes (?) red
polish(?)! your line owe money.

giraffe collect, shoes there searching, (?) (?) contact embarass boss
there simba station. boat, (?) pause can I (?), shoes (?). giraffe
finish put. boss said, ok, wonderful, take care. giraffe, (?) (?). fine,
pause, I (?), people only pay attention line (?).

work, hear me (?), (?) can. now, i (?), safe, wait. you two watch(?).
you tornado see! your turn i finished. announce, (?) hill giraffe you
(?) (?). shoes, me (?) (?). people you (pl)(?) excited, me mine. finish,
smile.

---------------

ok, maybe I'm 1st grade level.... ;-)

I tried!!

Bill Reese

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> November 25, 2000
>
> Dear SignWriting List:
>
> Everyone would like more SignWriting literature...Teachers know we
> are in sore need of more reading materials in all signed languages.
>
> Today I posted a new Special Feature on the web, highlighting three
> ASL stories that were posted last year...
>
> Go to:
>
> https://www.SignWriting.org
>
> And scroll down...
>
> Go to Nancy Romero's story: "A Giraffe Named Ivan", written in
> American Sign Language.
>
> You will find that the story has NO English translation.
>
> For those who know some American signs, see if you can figure out
> what it says in ASL? Can you read it?
>
> Type your English translation to the SignWriting List.....
>
> It will be great to see your translations ;-))
>
> Have a great weekend everyone!!
> --
>
> Val ;-)

> Valerie Sutton
>

> Visit the SignWritingSite:
> https://www.SignWriting.org

  Replies Author Date
4277 Re: Translation Challenge: Can You Read The ASL? Valerie Sutton Mon  11/27/2000
4279 Re: Translation Challenge: Can You Read The ASL? Nancy Cole Mon  11/27/2000

  Message 4276  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index