forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4381  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Angus Grieve-Smith
Date:  Tue Jan 2, 2001  7:24 pm
Subject:  Re: animated gif

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Stefan Woehrmann2 wrote:

> I just found this in the WWW
>
> did you know about this project ?
> https://www.signingavatar.com/products/cddescript.html
>
> animated signer can be so different -

Oh yes. In a way you could say they're my competition. :-)

One thing that really bothers me about the Signing Avatar project
is that they "gloss over" (not an intentional pun, but an appropriate
one) the very large difference between the syntax of ASL and the syntax of
English, and the fact that their system produces Signed English, not
ASL. The ASL features that it produces require someone to translate a
text from English into ASL, which is not stated explicitly in any of their
communications.

This bothers me because one of my major goals in the SignSynth
project is to publicize writing systems for signed languages. I'm trying
to bring a need to light, and they're trying to sweep it under the rug.
I suppose the truth will out eventually (like when people try to create
"avatar-enabled web pages," but it's frustrating.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Message 4381  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index